This Guide, translated by 4 Korners Family Resource Center, is available to download for free online or in print at any of our three locations.
Are you an informal or natural caregiver who is caring for a spouse, family member, neighbour or friend?
Have you ever considered yourself to be a caregiver? Did you know that a caregiver is any individual who is involved with the care of a person who requires extra attention, is ill, disabled, losing their independence, or has functional limitations whether emotional, psychological or physical.
Caring for another person can be very rewarding and challenging at the same time.
If you are caring for someone on either a full-time, part-time, or occasional basis, or predict that you will be caring for someone, it is important to know that there are tools and resources to support you for your present situation or the one to come. The 4 Korners Family Resource Center offers services for caregivers in Deux-Montagnes, Lachute and Rosemere.
Workshops for Caregivers
A special 6 week workshop has been designed for caregivers to provide tools and strategies to ensure that the caregiver does not become worn-out. Caring for a loved one is rewarding. To continue to care for someone else, a caregiver needs to nurture oneself. Groups are held in Rosemere, Deux-Montagnes and Lachute.
All our services are confidential and offered in a nonjudgmental environment where people come together with a common goal, to provide one another with care.
A special thank you for the grant from l’APPUI des Laurentides and for the collaboration with the Comité local des proches aidants du Lac-des-Deux-Montagnes, Argenteuil and the CISSS des Laurentides which makes it possible for 4 Korners to offer programs for caregivers in English that were only available in French.
A few helpful links!
- Aging Care – Provides families with the necessary information and support to care for their parents, spouses or other elderly loved ones.
- L’APPUI des Laurentides – Information for Quebec and phone support (in English) at 1 (855) 852-7795.
- Alzheimers Society of Canada – Information at 1-800-616-8816
- AMI Quebec – Skill building workshops for caregivers
- Canada Cares – Information and a support line at 1 (855) 619-5021.
- Éducaloi – Practical legal tools for caregivers
- GRPAL (Groupe relève pour personnes asphasiques Laurentides) – Information and support for people living with aphasia and their caregivers. 1 866 974-1888
- LEAP Communication – learn how to better communicate with your loved one.
- Société Alzheimer Laurentides – Information. (Find the 2016-2017 schedule on the English Community Calendar)
- TCN (The Caregiver Network) – online learning network supporting family caregivers, their loved ones and health care professionals.